Grease Fire Damages Apartment Building in Presque Isle
At least 6 people were displaced Thursday night by a fire that extensively damaged an apartment house on Third Street in Presque Isle.
The Presque Isle Fire Department responded to the blaze at the 5-unit apartment building shortly before 9:30 p.m., according to Captain Vince Baldwin. The Mapleton, Easton, and Caribou Fire Departments provided mutual aid.
Capt. Baldwin said the fire started as a cooking fire in the kitchen of a second-story apartment. All the tenants made it out safely, but a pet cat perished in the blaze.
One firefighter was taken to Northern Light A.R. Gould Hospital in Presque Isle and was treated and released. Fire crews were on scene until after 1:00 a.m. Friday.
As of Friday morning, disaster volunteers with the American Red Cross of Maine were working with three people to ensure that their immediate needs such as food, a safe place to sleep and other essentials are met. That number may increase, according to spokesperson Ann Kim.
The Red Cross will be remain in contact with displaced residents to provide community referrals as they begin their road to recovery.
The building, which is owned by Brent Ouellette, was insured.