Madawaska firefighters responded to a call around 5:30 pm on Thursday, due to a report of smoke inside a family home at 475 Main Street.

According to Madawaska Fire Chief Jim Soucy, the lightning struck a radio tower that the owner had attached to their home. Soucy concluded by stating that the lightning traveled through the tower and down into the basement where it grounded and burned out the water pump that was there.

The circuit breaker was working correctly, however, the homeowner is scheduled to have an electrician come to the home to repair any damages.

No deaths or injuries were reported.

More From