A man and his 12-year-old son were treated at hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire early Sunday morning destroyed their home on Tobique First Nation, near Perth-Andover.


Firefighters responded to the blaze on New Road in Tobique around 3 a.m. The boy suffered minor cuts while escaping through a second-storey window with the help of his father and five men who happened to drive by and saw flames coming from the house.

Canadian Red Cross spokesman Dan Bedell said the house was gutted by the fire. The man and his son are staying with a relative in the community and the Red Cross was assisting with clothing and food purchases.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This fire was one of three in western New Brunswick over the long Remembrance Day weekend.

In Grand Falls, one man was displaced by a fire around 2:45 a.m. Sunday in a bungalow on O'Regan Road.

In Edmundston, a fire around 2:30 a.m. Monday displaced five people from a two-storey building on Victoria Street that housed a ground-level business and three apartments.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming out of the roof. All residents of the  apartment house had evacuated safely. Firefighters quickly extinguished a sofa that was on fire on the upper floor. Damage was minimal but tenants were unable to immediately return to their homes due to smoke and fumes.

The Red Cross assisted a couple from one apartment with emergency lodging and food. Three other people made their own arrangements for places to stay.


More From