Three people were displaced by a fire in Edmundston Tuesday evening that extensively damaged a basement apartment and sent thick smoke throughout the main level of a house. 

Edmundston firefighters responded to the blaze shortly after 6 23 Cormier Street. The fire reportedly started in the kitchen of the basement apartment.

The Canadian Red Cross is helping a woman who lives there with clothing, personal-care items and other aid. Spokesman Dan Bedell said another woman and her daughter who live in the main part of the house are staying with a relative for now.

We'll have more information as it is made available.

More From