Woman Walking Across Maine Turnpike Struck by At Least Three Vehicles
State Police say a woman was struck and killed late Wednesday night while walking across the six lanes of traffic of the Maine Turnpike at the Kennebunk service plazas.
The woman was struck by at least three vehicles and was killed instantly in the passing lane of the northbound side, police said. The crash was reported just after 10 p.m.
The woman is believed to be from New York and her identity will await an examination by the State Medical Examiner’s Office. Witnesses said the woman was on her cell phone as she attempted to cross the highway.
Troopers said the pickup that struck her was driven by 59-year-old Christopher Manos of Lincoln, Maine, who called 911 immediately to report the incident. Two other vehicles also likely ran over her body.
Troopers say the woman had been with her husband, who is a long-haul truck driver, and who was sleeping in the cab of his tractor trailer when the crash took place. The truck was parked at the service plaza.
State Police say the woman who was struck and killed Wednesday night on the Maine Turnpike is 37-year-old Kelly Genito of Cairo, NY. Her husband – 38 year old Marco Genito – was sleeping in the cab of his tractor trailer when she was struck.
Troopers believe she was talking on her cell phone when she was struck and that she had also crossed the busy highway earlier in the evening. The couple had delivered items to Lewiston and Medway before pulling into the southbound plaza about 6 p.m. Troopers located the husband when they started to talk to motorists in the parking lot. He was not aware of the crash.
State Police say the husband received a summons on a charge of violating a protection order, that has been filed against him by his wife. The charge was filed after consultation with the York County District Attorney’s Office. The couple has three children and Genito returned to his home early Thursday morning to be with them, after talking to troopers.