State Fire Marshal Says Spark From Pellet Stove Caused Caribou Fire [UPDATE]
The State Fire Marshal's office says a fire that destroyed a family's home in Caribou on Wednesday was triggered by a spark from a pellet stove.
Investigator Scott Richardson said that when a pellet stove in the house turned on, a spark went through the exhaust and ignited some dry mulch outside. The windy, dry conditions caused the fire to spread up the side of the wood-framed house.
Firefighters from Caribou, Limestone and Fort Fairfield battled the blaze for several hours late Wednesday. The home on the Grimes Mill Road belonging to Jamie and Jessica Bell was a total loss. The couple, their children and their dog made it out safely.
A Go Fund Me account has been set up for anyone who can make a donation for the Bell family.