The State Fire Marshal’s Office says a 37-year-old Lisbon man who was seriously burned this week was playing with lighter fluid while intoxicated.

Braden Gunem/ThinkStock

Cory Mathis suffered second degree burns to his legs when his clothing caught fire at his Lisbon Street home Tuesday night, according to Public Safety Department spokesman Steve McCausland.

Investigators say Mathis was playing with lighter fluid by pouring it on his hands and lighting it. He then put the lighter fluid container in his pants pocket, where it leaked. Witnesses told police that Mathis went into a hallway and returned with his clothing on fire.

Mathis also suffered facial injuries. He is being treated at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston.