For The Holidays, The Maine CDC Urges All Families to Be Carbon Monoxide Safe
With winter fully on us after two major snow storms this past week,, health officials of the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention are urging Mainers to take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Maine Department of Health and Human Services State Health Officer Dr. Christopher Pezzullo says about 75-percent of all reported cases of carbon monoxide poisoning in Maine occur during the winter months. Most of these poisonings are caused by home heating appliances that are not working properly or that have blocked vents.
Anything that burns fuel, such as an oil or propane boiler or wood stove, produces carbon monoxide. When these appliances are not properly maintained or vented, carbon monoxide can quickly build up inside a home without anyone noticing. Carbon monoxide cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, and can be deadly. Pezzullo says about 65-percent of Maine homes have a carbon monoxide detector, indicating that many residents have already taken action to protect their families from carbon monoxide poisoning. But many other households have not yet taken those steps.
Portable, gas-powered generators that many Maine residents use when the power goes out can also cause severe carbon monoxide poisonings and deaths when used improperly. A single portable generator can produce as much carbon monoxide gas as 100 idling cars, and can increase the chance of getting carbon monoxide poisoning by 20 to 300-fold when run in a basement or garage.
Dr. Pezzullo says anyone with a portable generator should have an extension cord long enough to make sure the generator can be run outside, at least 15 feet from windows or doors. They should also have a plan for keeping the generator protected from rain, ice, and snow. He says making a plan now can help residents avoid the temptation to run a generator inside a basement, garage or cellar bulkhead during a storm.
Also of concern are motors left running while people work on them in garages or in buildings. About one in eight carbon monoxide poisonings each year occur in garages, sheds or barns while people conduct engine repair or maintenance.
Pezzullo says while the best prevention is to keep carbon monoxide from ever building up in your home or other enclosed spaces, having an electric carbon monoxide detector with a battery backup near where people sleep can save lives and is especially important when heating your home.
Facts about Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that can cause sickness, coma or death when it builds up in enclosed spaces. You can’t see, smell or taste carbon monoxide. Signs of poisoning include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion, but no fever. Carbon monoxide exposure results in more than 100 emergency department visits and between one and five deaths each year in Maine.
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, health officials recommend the following:
• Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal burning appliances serviced every year.
• Make sure appliance and heating exhaust vents are not blocked by snow after storms.
• Use your generator outdoors in the fresh air. Make a plan so that you can run your generator at least 15 feet from windows or doors and keep it protected from rain, ice, and snow.
• Make sure you have a CO detector that runs on your home’s power and has a battery back up near where people sleep. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. You can buy a detector at most hardware stores or stores that sell smoke detectors. By law, all rental units must have a CO detector. Talk to your landlord if you don’t have one in your apartment or rental house. CO detectors are also required in all newly built homes, as well as in other homes after either a major remodeling project or change of ownership.
• Don't leave vehicles or any other gas-powered motors running inside a garage, barn, or shed, even if you leave the windows and doors open.
• Don't use a charcoal grill, camp stove or other gas or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement or garage or near a window or door.
• Don't try to heat your home with a gas oven.
If your CO alarm goes off, get out of the house right away and call 911. If you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed or nauseous seek immediate medical attention.
This information was submitted to us as part of a press release. If you would like to share your community news or event with our audience, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.