Six adults are temporarily homeless after a fire Thursday night damaged part of a four-storey apartment building in downtown Edmundston.   

Edmundston Police were the first to arrive shortly before 10 p.m. and evacuated the apartment complex on Saint-Francois Street, according to CIMT.  When firefighters arrived, dense smoke filled the upper part of the building.

Crews contained the blaze mostly to one apartment but there was smoke and water damage to several other units.  There were no injuries reported.

Dan Bedell of the Canadian Red Cross said disaster volunteers have arranged emergency lodging plus food and clothing purchases for a man and his adult son from one apartment and for two women from another unit. Another man arranged to stay with a relative for now, and a sixth adult was away at the time.

Edmundston fire officials said a faulty heating system caused the blaze.