Emera Maine Urges Customers to Beware of Scam
Emera Maine is warning its customers to be suspicious of individuals claiming to be representing the utility, especially in situations demanding immediate payment.
A number of small businesses have been targeted in the Ellsworth and Mount Desert Island areas. Often scams:
* Demand immediate payment or threaten disconnection with little notice;
* Require payment be made by a prepaid debit card or other non-refundable form of payment (e.g. Green Dot cards);
* Appear to be coming from an Emera Maine number on caller ID;
* Feature an answering service message that is identical to the recording heard when calling the Emera Maine Customer Contact Center.
“Emera Maine customers will never receive a call from a representative demanding immediate payment with the threat of disconnection”, said Karen Holyoke, Vice President of Customer Experience. “Customers facing disconnection are notified by mail, may receive a notification by automated or personal call, and are encouraged to contact us to work out an arrangement. We make every effort to work with our customers and disconnection is a last resort.”
Customers should keep the following things in mind if they are contacted in a manner that sounds suspicious:
* Never give out credit card or other payment information over the phone unless you’ve initiated the call.
* End suspicious calls immediately and contact our Customer Contact Center at 207-973-2000 or 1-855-EMERA-11 (1-855-363-7211) to ensure you are speaking with an Emera Maine representative.
* If you are contacted by an Emera Maine representative, they will ask for the primary account holder by name and will know your account and bill information.
Anyone who may have fallen victim to a scam and paid a fraudulent caller is encouraged to report the scam to both their local law enforcement agency as well as the Attorney General’s office. The AG may be reached toll free at 1-800-436-2131.
This information was submitted to us as part of a press release. If you would like to share your community news or event with our audience, please email email@example.com.