Emera Maine Prepares For Major Storm
Emera Maine’s Storm Response Team is keeping a watchful eye to the sky as a Nor’easter heads our way.
Strong winds along the coast and a mix of precipitation inland from freezing rain, sleet, ice and snow is expected as the storm moves into Emera Maine’s service territory overnight and impact the region throughout the day Tuesday.
Advance preparations include ensuring appropriate staffing levels both in the field and in the Customer Contact Center, fueling up trucks, snow sleds and ATV’s, stocking up on storm kits and other supplies for field crews, and more.
If forecast models hold true, most of the winds are expected from the north, and that is a good thing,” said Brad Flannery, Manager of Line & Meter Operations. “The fact that most trees have lost their leaves and the ground is frozen is also helpful, but the ice is a concern. So we’re preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.”
As always, customers are reminded to be mindful of the following safety hazards:
- NEVER touch a downed power line or a tree in contact with one. In recent storms there were reports of customers moving lines out of the way and driving over the top of them. This should never be attempted under any circumstance;
- Anyone using alternate heat sources and generators is reminded to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines at all times;
- Always be sure generators and space heaters are well ventilated;
- Generators should be professionally installed to ensure they do not back-feed into the electrical system putting both the public and our employees at risk;
- The public is urged to slow down or move over and change lanes, when possible, if approaching utility crews working on roadways, to ensure everyone's safety.
The Storm Response Team will continue to monitor the storm’s track and modify staffing plans as needed. Customers can do their part by planning ahead as well; helpful tips on how to prepare for a power outage are available on our website at emeramaine.com, then click on “Outages & Restoration” and “Be Prepared”.
Customers can get the latest outage information and view our live outage and restoration map at emeramaine.com. Outages can be reported online or by calling our Customer Contact Center at 1-855-EMERA-11 (1-855-363-7211) or 207-973-2000.