Blaine Family Loses Home in Fire
A family of seven lost their home in a wind-whipped fire Friday afternoon in Blaine.
The Mars Hill Fire Department responded to the blaze around 3:45 p.m. at the home of Joshua and Samantha Tweedie on the Trafford Road. Fire Chief Darrell Wilson tells us the large two-story house was fully engulfed when crews arrived.
More than 30 firefighters from the Mars Hill and Bridgewater Fire Departments battled the fire in cold temperatures and high winds for over 5 hours. The Easton Fire Department covered the Mars Hill station throughout the evening. Crews left the property around 9 p.m. but were called back a short time later to extinguish some hot spots.
Chief Wilson said it appears the blaze was sparked by a laptop computer in the living room area. The family had left the house for a short time and returned to discover the fire. There were no injuries. Wilson said the home was insured.
The American Red Cross of Maine was offering emergency assistance to the family.